This is the essential guide to unleashing the body’s hidden ability to dramatically improve mood, memory and thinking speed.
Mehmet C. Oz, M.D., Author of You: the Owner’s Manual
“Announcing Dr. Hyman’s Personalized 6-Week Step-By-Step Home Coaching Program Designed to Defeat Depression, Overcome Anxiety and Sharpen Your Mind Without Drugs or Psychotherapy”
In this exclusive self-help audio, video and workbook system, Dr. Hyman will outline simple changes that can enhance mood, sharpen focus, overcome anxiety and debilitating conditions such as ADHD, bipolar disorder, dementia, and autism.
Get started today and discover how to rebuild your brain to achieve an UltraMind® — increase your thinking speed, deepen your concentration and boost your mood, memory and behavior.
Mark Hyman, M.D.
Founder and Medical Director
The UltraWellness® Center, Lenox, MA
The most important medical discovery of our lifetime is also the biggest secret.
This secret reveals the REAL reasons we are sick and why we suffer from an epidemic of brain problems…
…everything from depression to dementia, from anxiety to autism, from memory problems to mood swings and from brain fog to trouble concentrating.
In fact, we’re in the middle of the greatest medical revolution of the last 100 years – it’s the medical equivalent to Columbus saying the world was round, not flat.
And this revolution shows us that there IS hope…
…hope for our children with ADD, autism and Asperger’s, who have problems concentrating, staying focused and controlling their behaviors…
…hope for our aging parents, who are suffering from dementia, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, and whose lives are quietly slipping away…
…hope for those of us who suffer from depression, anxiety and brain fog and have problems remembering things and dealing with stress and mood swings.
What if you were told that the way you think about disease, mental illness and your brain aging actually has NOTHING to do with how your body actually works?
The secret you’re about to learn is this…your mood and memory problems, your trouble focusing, your ADD and depression are NOT all in your head.
They’re in your BODY.
By Fixing Your Body, You Will
Automatically Fix Your Broken Brain
You are about to learn how 7 remarkable breakthroughs can give you back your brain and allow you to fully enjoy life and regain your energy, memory, focus and joy.
You can’t treat mental illness effectively ONLY with drugs or psychotherapy, but you can fix your broken brain by balancing the 7 core biological systems at the root of all illness and disease.
In a minute, I’ll share with you exactly what these 7 core systems are and show you the path to a mind that’s calm, focused, alert and happy – a path to an UltraMind® .
This is the basis of my 20+ years practicing medicine and my new New York Times bestseller, The UltraMind® Solution.
How Can 7 Systems Be at
the Root of All Disease?
It’s because the way we think about disease is all wrong.
We say that if you feel sad and hopeless, you HAVE depression. But depression doesn’t CAUSE those symptoms. It’s simply the label we put on people who HAVE those symptoms.
People suffer from conditions such as depression, autism and dementia, but the names we give diseases tell us absolutely NOTHING about their real reasons or causes.
DISEASES DON’T EXIST! Well, at least not in the way we think they do. They are instead imbalances in the 7 core biological systems of the body.
Unless You Know the Cause,
You Can’t Fix Your Problem
It’s the same thing with our broken brains.
So, how do we fix our broken brain? It’s very simple. We have to balance the 7 biological systems at the root of all disease. (More on these in a second.)
The key is this: Only if you fix your body (and it can be fixed) will you fix your brain.
How do I know this?
Not only did I fix my own broken brain during my process of successfully recovering from chronic fatigue syndrome (one of the most mysterious and hardest illnesses to treat), but over the last 20 years, I’ve worked as the co-medical director at Canyon Ranch, and now as the medical director and founder of The UltraWellness® Center, helping literally thousands of people heal from anxiety, depression, autism, dementia and many other symptoms of broken brains.
Let me share a story that showed me in a powerful way how the body is REALLY connected to the brain.
How an Exasperated Professional Woman
Discovered the Answer That Wiped Out
Her 12-Year-Old Son’s ADHD
Clayton, labeled with a multitude of psychological and physical diagnoses by a number of highly specialized physicians, seemed to be a walking embodiment of “bad luck; poor kid.”
In the realm of psychiatry, Clayton was “diagnosed” with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), a behavioral disorder. He could not focus in school, “zoned out” and was disruptive.
As with many children labeled with ADHD or on the autism spectrum, Clayton’s writing was nearly illegible. On the other hand, he excelled in math.
Physically, Clayton was diagnosed with asthma, and suffered from “environmental” allergies, sinus congestion, postnasal drip, sore throats, eczema, nausea, stomach pains, diarrhea, headaches, canker sores, muscle aches, muscle cramps, hypersensitivity to noises and smells, sneezing, hives, itchy skin with bumps, and frequent infections.
He slept poorly and had trouble breathing when he did sleep. He also suffered from anxiety, fearfulness and carbohydrate cravings. All his symptoms were being treated with 7 different medications prescribed by 5 different doctors.
These included Ritalin for ADHD, allergy medicine, inhalers for his asthma and hives, acid-blocking medication for his stomach problems, and painkillers for his headaches.
This is quite a drug cocktail for a 12-year-old. Yet he didn’t experience much relief from his physical, mental or behavioral symptoms. But this is how we approach a problem in medicine – divide it up into parts, farm them out and pile on the pills.
What a Life for
Clayton and His Family!
When Clayton’s mother found me, she was tired and frustrated. As we began to dig below the surface, we found and treated the causes of his symptoms – which were the 7 keys to an UltraMind® .
Here is how we fixed Clayton…
Click on the right arrow button above to start playing the video.
(Play time: 2 minutes 33 seconds.)
A Little Boy’s Remarkable Recovery from ADHD
Click the play button to listen to the whole story of how Clayton:
- Stopped taking ALL medications
- Eliminated all chronic symptoms
- Started showing normal behavior
- Wiped away irritability and anxiety
- Became social for the first time
Clayton did not have a neurologic or psychiatric “disease.” He had a “broken brain” caused by nutritional imbalance; toxicity; and altered immune, neurotransmitter and digestive functions. Treating those root causes and correcting the imbalances led to the resolution of all his symptoms.
Read an email Audrey Lampert sent me about Clayton’s success in school.
Clayton’s story is not unique. It’s repeated over and over in medical practices, based on the principles of Functional Medicine, the next generation of medicine, on which The UltraMind® Solution is based.
Just consider these inspiring stories of other patients who have fixed their broken brains by going on Six Weeks to an UltraMind® …
- A 53-year-old man with lifelong bipolar disease and crippling depression on a multi-drug cocktail, who had relief from depression for the first time in 30 years after tuning up his brain function with folate, B12 and B6
- A 3-year-old boy with violent behavior, who calmed down after balancing his blood sugar and clearing out toxic bacteria from his intestinal tract
- A 23-year-old woman with lifelong anxiety and depression that lifted after she quit eating foods that she was allergic to
- A 70-year-old man who was losing his grip on his memory and had been diagnosed with early dementia, who after getting all the mercury out of his body came back to life, could work and function, and now remembers the songs he used to sing in the shower and reads BusinessWeek again
- Or the little boy with autism, who began to talk and connect socially after getting rid of gluten and casein (wheat and dairy) from his diet and treating the yeast overgrowth in his gut – for the first time, he could tell jokes and had a sense of humor
- Or the woman who traveled 5,000 miles to see me after seeing a dozen doctors, who was fatigued, depressed, overweight, mentally slipping, sluggish and struggling with brain fog every day, who got rid of all her symptoms in 6 weeks after getting off gluten, boosting her vitamin D level and fixing her low thyroid function. Her family said they had their mother and wife back.
A New Road Map Is Needed for
Treating Mental Illness
Right now 20 million people are suffering from bouts of depression, leaving them feeling empty and meaningless. Are you one of them?
Maybe you are one of the 40 million tormented by irrational fears, anxiety or unceasing stress that won’t go away.
We lose our grip on reality. We can’t focus at work. Our children can’t sit still or remember what they are taught in school, and eventually we become strangers to our aging parents.
What’s wrong? Are we somehow defectively designed?
The medical community’s solution of drugs and psychotherapy isn’t working either. Even with all the drugs on the market, 80 percent of people on medication don’t get better.
We’re Suffering from an
Epidemic of Broken Brains
The Effects of Broken
Brains on Our Children
- More than 20 million children have some type of psychiatric disorder.
- More than 8 million children are on stimulants such as Ritalin.
- Learning disabilities affect between 5 and 10 percent of school-aged children.
Ten years ago, autism was diagnosed in only 1 out of 10,000 children.
Now 1 out of 166 children is diagnosed. And that’s not counting the millions of children who suffer from ADHD, dyslexia, learning disabilities or milder forms of autism like Asperger’s.
Consider the devastating effects of Alzheimer’s disease…
Conservative reports project that 30 percent (and some experts say 50 percent) of people over 85 years old (the fastest growing segment of the population) will have Alzheimer’s by 2050.
That’s 1 Out of 2
Suffering with Alzheimer’s
What about adults and teenagers? One out of every 10 Americans is on antidepressants, with more than 40 million haunted by anxiety and 20 million paralyzed by depression. If that’s not enough, 26 percent, or 1 out of 4 Americans, will have some kind of psychiatric disorder in their lifetimes, such as:
- Bipolar disease
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Attention deficit disorder
- Learning difficulties
This broken brain epidemic takes many shapes, including psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia and mania as well as ALL neurodegenerative diseases of aging, especially Alzheimer’s, dementia and Parkinson’s disease.
You may not find yourself in one of those extreme categories, but you probably fall on the milder side of the broken brain continuum. While many psychiatrists and neurologists wouldn’t qualify these problems as treatable diseases, they still cause unnecessary suffering for many people.
Which of the following do you suffer with?
Lack of focus
Tired and sluggish
Are Depression, Anxiety, Autism and Alzheimer’s
Normal Parts of the Human Condition?
No. They aren’t.
The problem is that we’ve been looking for answers to these problems in the wrong places – in the corners of our past, in the chemical “imbalances” in our brains and in the latest drug or therapeutic approach.
The epidemic of broken brains is a silent one, and few doctors are talking about the problems and looking for ways to heal them. When they do, they focus on solutions within the brain itself, but what I have uncovered is that the root cause of mental illness or neurological disorders of any kind aren’t normally found in the brain…they’re in the body.
Heal the Body First,
Then You Heal the Brain
The body is all connected and intertwined, NOT separate pieces.
But conventional medicine treats each part of the body as a disconnected piece and ultimately treats each person the same. Instead, we need to understand how the whole body operates as a system, not just how different pieces of the body operate independently from one another.
We need a plan for uniquely treating people, not body parts (a plan designed to put out the fire, not just bat at the flames).
You see, doctors and patients alike have been stuck on an outdated idea of disease.
Let me explain what I mean… In our current mind-set, if you know the name of your disease, you know what’s wrong with you and you can prescribe a drug to match.
You have depression? Then you NEED an antidepressant. You’re anxious? Then you NEED an anti-anxiety medication. You have bipolar disease or mood swings? Then you NEED a mood stabilizer.
But there’s one problem with that…
Depression Is Not a Prozac Deficiency
The Truth About Antidepressants…
Attention deficit disorder is not a stimulant deficiency, and dementia is NOT a memory-boosting medicine deficiency.
Saying you’re depressed or bipolar or have ADD tells you NOTHING about the reasons for your symptoms.
It’s like saying the reason your head hurts is because you have a headache. But your head could hurt because you ate something you’re allergic to, or you have too much estrogen and not enough progesterone floating around in your blood, or because you have a sinus infection, the flu, a magnesium deficiency, or…
Someone Hit You on the
Head with a Baseball Bat
Causes of Depression
- Folate, B6 or B12 deficiency
- Low thyroid function
- Brain allergies to food
- Autoimmune response to gluten
- Mercury poisoning
- Abnormal proteins from maldigested food
- Brain inflammation from a hidden infection
- Blood sugar imbalance
- Low testosterone or other sex hormones
- Omega-3 fat deficiency
- Adrenal gland dysfunction from excessive stress
Any of these can cause a headache. So you see, having a name for a disease tells you NOTHING about the cause and unless you know the cause you cannot fix the problem. It is the SAME thing with our broken brains.
You could be in a room with 50 people who all meet the criteria for depression in the DSM-IV (the American Psychiatric Association’s diagnosis manual) and have all been prescribed antidepressants such as Prozac, but each person could have depression for a different reason.
The answer isn’t more or better medications.
Even Psychotherapy Shouldn’t
Be the First Response
Counseling, therapy, coaching and even psychoanalysis can be helpful components of an overall plan for mental health.
But if you are poisoned by mercury, deficient in folic acid, have a low-functioning thyroid, drink 12 cups of coffee a day, eat half a pound of sugar a day (the amount consumed by the average American) or have an inflamed brain from eating gluten, it is very difficult to talk or meditate your way out of your suffering!
You must FIRST address the biological causes of the problems before psychotherapy can be effective.
By Fixing Your Body, You Will
Automatically Fix Your Broken Brain
and Experience an UltraMind®
There is a solution, but it’s not in the latest drug or therapeutic approach big pharmaceutical companies make billions from. The solution is somewhere you may not have heard about.
What you’re going to uncover inside Six Weeks to an UltraMind® is going to radically transform the way you think about your mind and body.
Change Your Brain, Change Your Life and Magnificent Mind At Any Age
Whether you suffer from depression, anxiety or panic attacks; have Alzheimer’s, dementia or Parkinson’s disease; are under chronic stress; or even just have a little brain fog, trouble remembering things or ADD, leaving you feeling distracted and dull, you can heal.
You can not only overcome many chronic illnesses, but you can also heal from mental illness, neurological disorders and other types of brain disease. In just 6 short weeks, with Six Weeks to an UltraMind® , you can begin to:
- Feel more alert and focused. (You’ll not only feel more alert, you’ll feel more alive.)
- Experience a more stable mood. (Your moods will become more stable so that every day isn’t an emotional roller coaster.)
- Develop a better memory. (Your memory will improve because your stress level will go down.)
- Increase your concentration. (Your thinking will stay sharply focused for longer periods of time.)
- Feel more energy. (Your energy level will go up without caffeine or other stimulants.)
- Sleep better. (You’ll fall asleep easier, sleep through the night and wake up energized.)
- Create optimal brain function. (No more brain fog. Your mind will be clear and your thinking will be sharp.)
Consider the Story of Jennifer
How One Woman Lifted the Fog of
Depression Permanently Simply by
Healing Her Body
My problems began in 1997 as I finished graduate school and began my professional life. It was supposed to be an exciting beginning – that time in life when all your hard work finally pays off and you are able to join the ranks of successful people.
For me, it was almost exactly the opposite…
At first I tried to tell myself that I was just exhausted from grad school and the stress of my new position. And there’s no doubt, the profession I work in is very demanding. I fly all over the country and work long hours for too little pay. But what I began going through that year can’t be explained by stress and exhaustion alone.
It started with a series of vague, flulike symptoms. I had a low-grade fever off and on. I gained weight, though I could barely eat. I had absolutely no energy. It was all I could do to just get up and make it through my day.
Then I began having chronic sinus infections. After every flight I took, I ended up with another infection that gave me terrible headaches and perpetual postnasal drip and made my fevers even worse.
All this was very strange for me, because I’m not the type to get sick. I’m not a fragile person. But now I was regularly taking time off work to cope with ceaseless flulike symptoms and chronic sinus infections.
I went to just about every doctor my insurance covered looking for answers, but they did little to help. They just threw antibiotics at me without investigating the cause of the problem. One nasal specialist recommended surgery. That seemed completely outrageous, so I didn’t do that. I just didn’t know what to do.
“That’s when I dipped into a major
depression and disappeared from my life.”
I don’t think many of my friends noticed, because I hid it from them for a long time. But I stopped keeping up with my social life. I never went out for drinks with clients or friends after work. I lost at least one relationship because my mood was so low and I refused to go out anywhere. I never smiled. I lost my sense of humor – nothing was funny to me anymore. My personality just sort of flattened out.
Eventually I became so depressed that I had a hard time leaving the house. I would get on the subway and go to work and the whole time I would think, “I can’t wait until I am on the subway coming back home and can lay down on my couch and just rest.”
I had bills to pay, and I’m ambitious enough that I made myself continue working, even though a lot of the time I felt like I wasn’t doing the job I could...or should. Even when I did go to work, it took incredible focus to make it through the day; the small scraps of energy I had were poured into that.
I tried to convince myself that “this is just how people feel,” but no one else at work seemed to be struggling the way I was. Realizing that fed into my mental health issues. I felt defective – like there was something wrong with me in this generic and debilitating way. It made my depression even worse.
Eventually, I went to a psychiatrist and began taking Prozac just to help me cope and make it through day to day. It’s not what I wanted to do, but I didn’t feel like I had any choice.
I went on that way for 4 or 5 years – taking medication just to make it through every day, forcing myself to get up and go to work, avoiding my social life, and coming home in the evenings to sit on the sofa and watch TV.
The situation finally came to a head one 4th of July at my parents’ house. I stayed in bed the whole weekend, telling them there was no way for me to get up and celebrate. Clearly they were worried...
“When my parents finally came in and
asked me what was wrong, I fell apart.
‘I don’t know, but I’m miserable,’ I said.”
My mother was a patient of Dr. Hyman at the time, and she recommended that I look into his work. One thing that intrigued me about Dr. Hyman was his explanation of how imbalances in the body often affect mental health.
Another intriguing aspect was thyroid function and its relationship to depression...
You see, my core body temperature has always been low, and I’ve been telling doctors about it since I was a teenager. I was always told that I was too young to have a thyroid problem. My tests consistently showed my thyroid levels were low, but they were always just above the level that would indicate a clinical diagnosis of hypothyroidism.
There is an epidemic of hypothyroidism in this country, and most borderline cases like mine go undiagnosed, often contributing to depression that for me was a critical piece of the puzzle.
The other thing that blew my mind was mercury poisoning. In his book The UltraMind® Solution, Dr. Hyman explained how amalgam dental fillings can deteriorate in your mouth and the mercury in them can leak into your blood and poison you. This can lead to all kinds of brain disorders, including depression.
Now, right before I got sick, I had a whole bunch of dental work done and had a number of amalgam fillings put in my mouth. Within months I got ill. This was another piece of the puzzle.
“As I learned all this, it was like a
stack of bricks was being taken off my shoulders.”
I had been waiting so long to find out what was wrong with me, and Dr. Hyman finally helped me locate an answer. It makes me very emotional just to speak about it, because for the first time I had hope. For the first time I believed there was a way for me to get better.
My path to recovery is kind of a tale in and of itself. I followed Dr. Hyman’s program step-by-step. After changing my diet, adding supplements and taking some of the other steps he recommends, it became clear that I would have to aggressively look into my toxicity levels and the function of my thyroid.
I got some toxicity tests done, and it turned out that my mercury level was completely off the charts. It was over 260. Normal is below 3. It was clear that I was poisoned with heavy metals and this was contributing to my problems.
I also got my thyroid retested and it was right on the borderline, just as it had been when I was young. Since it was so close and I had every other symptom in the book, it was pretty clear my thyroid wasn’t functioning properly.
Both of these problems required medical intervention to resolve. I had to go on special medications to help my body expel the mercury, and I had to take thyroid replacement to support my hormone levels. I also had to have my dental fillings replaced with more benign alternatives.
It took time and patience, but eventually my mercury level came down. And my thyroid function improved.
“When I got the mercury out,
rebalanced my thyroid and changed
my diet, everything in my life changed.”
My depression is now completely resolved. I no longer take antidepressants and I’m happy to be alive now and not wishing I wasn’t. I spent years feeling incredibly miserable – questioning why I was even alive. Now I feel grateful for life.
I’m turning 40 next week, and I feel wonderful! My sense of humor has come back and my whole view of the world and of life has completely changed. I feel like me again.
But it’s not just my emotional life that’s undergone an evolution; other things – funny little things you wouldn’t normally notice – have changed as well. My hair is back to the way it used to be. My skin looks different. I look better. I feel better.
Every once in a while someone will say something about it. They will comment on my hair or skin. I guess it might be a little vain, but that feels good. People can see the difference. They can see I’m back to being me.
My family has been pretty emotional about the changes in me as well. Since I hid my illness from my friends, my family was always much more tuned in to how sick I was. They are stunned at the difference.
My experience has been incredible in every way, and if I had one thing to tell people who are as depressed or as ill as I was, it’s this:
“You don’t have to feel sick.
It’s not your life sentence.”
Looking back now, I can see that it was because my body was out of balance that I became ill and depressed. I didn’t understand that at the time. I wasn’t educated enough. I wasn’t able to make the connections. So I spent years living with a mouthful of mercury, eating foods that didn’t support me, all while my poor body was struggling to keep up with a thyroid that was out of balance.
You don’t have to go through this. You can heal your body, and doing that will heal your brain. That’s what I learned from Dr. Hyman, and I am thankful for it every day of my life.
The New Road Map for Treating Disease:
The 7 Keys to an UltraMind®
Like the path Jennifer found, a new road map has emerged for how the human body works and how to treat illness – whether it is mental or physical. This road map is not based on the traditional ways of naming and diagnosing disease, but on treating the underlying, interlocking, core physiological systems that, in fact, underlie all disease.
The road map I was given in medical school to navigate through the territory of illness was the wrong map. It taught us to diagnose disease and then assign standardized treatments no matter who was suffering.
This is the WRONG approach – it’s a map that sends us in the wrong direction.
Not only are your joint pains, skin rashes, irritable bowel and depression all connected, but the only way to find your way out of this mess of chronic disease (affecting 162 million people) is by using a new map – one that allows you to see how everything is connected.
This is what the rich new method of functional medicine offers.
Functional medicine applies the science of systems biology in a practical setting.
Unlike conventional medicine, functional medicine personalizes treatment based on a person’s unique needs. We are all different. We have different genetic make-ups. As a result, our bodies react to the environment in different ways.
Understanding this allows us to develop unique methods to treat people, not diseases.
At the heart of this paradigm shift are the 7 keys of UltraWellness®, the same keys that make up Six Weeks to an UltraMind® .
Inside Six Weeks to an UltraMind® , I explore and explain how each of these keys affects your mood, behavior, attention, memory and overall brain function, and give you special proprietary quizzes that will help you identify which of these keys is out of balance for you, along with practical steps for fixing them.
Overview of the 7 Keys to an UltraMind®
Let me begin by explaining how the 7 keys work and how they can optimize your brain and health:
Key #1: Optimize Nutrition
Are You Deficient in the Essentials for Normal Brain Function?
Optimal nutrition is the most important factor in keeping your brain healthy.
Feeding our brains is not something most of us know how to do. What you put in your mouth provides all the raw materials to build the structure of your brain cells and keep all the communication systems running well so you can think, emote, learn and remember.
You have to start with the right food and enough of the right nutrients for the brain to function well.
The problem is that most of us (including doctors) know very little about nutrition and even less about how and why vitamins and minerals are so essential for brain function and health. To restore optimal brain function and health, you need to know WHY you are doing WHAT you are doing.
Among other things in Six Weeks to an UltraMind® , you’ll learn how to personalize Key #1, Optimize Nutrition, and:
- Four key nutritional strategies that represent 90 percent of everything you need to stay healthy and heal your broken brain. (These are the basic underpinnings that form the foundational support you need for an optimal brain.)
- The 2 biggest offending foods that cause bad brain reactions. (One out of 133 people has a significant intolerance to one of these foods, but only 3 percent are diagnosed.)
- How to reduce inflammation, balance blood sugar and stimulate new brain cell growth. (This special type of nutrient, common in any health food store, acts like Miracle-Gro for the brain.)
- How using this specific type of supplement has proven effective in improving memory and cognitive functions, boosting mood and reducing stress, improving attention, and reducing aggression in children with ADHD (all with no side effects).
- What you’d otherwise miss BUT need in a basic multivitamin. (Because 92 percent of Americans are deficient in one or more essential vitamins and minerals, everyone should take a basic multivitamin.)
- How to avoid feeling sluggish, foggy, anxious, unfocused and tired. (Simply add this one simple food to every meal and accelerate your neurotransmitter functions.)
- 7 tips for naturally increasing the “happy-feeling” molecule, serotonin. (Discover how getting enough of this special form of vitamin B will help your body transform tryptophan into serotonin, without using antidepressants.)
- How to protect your body against premature aging and morbid obesity simply by eating these special carbohydrates. (The right kind of carbohydrates contain all the vitamins (except B12) and minerals our bodies need to operate optimally and normally.)
- How to reduce stress and enjoy a better night’s sleep. (Simply take 600-800 milligrams of this over-the-counter vitamin.)
- How to intensify your mental sharpness, memory and energy level by taking the RIGHT combination of vitamins and minerals. (NOT having enough nutrients to optimize cellular function will lead to deficiencies can manifest as heart disease, cancer, depression, schizophrenia, ADD or Alzheimer’s disease.)
Key #2: Balance Your Hormones
As We Age, Our Hormones Get Out of Balance
Your hormones serve as major switches and can influence mood and behavior disturbances such as depression, panic attacks, anxiety, insomnia, ADHD, pre-dementia, Alzheimer’s and even weight gain.
Many of us are living out of balance and don’t recognize it. Does your mood or energy swing up and down? Do you crave sugar or salt? Are you uninterested in sex? Do you have thinning hair, or are you putting on more belly fat?
If so, you are not alone. Small molecules in our bodies that we depend on to keep us in balance are going haywire, and these molecules are involved in one way or another in almost every function of the body.
Learn whether your hormones are out of balance and what you need to do to fix them.
- Learn about new studies in The Journal of the American Medical Association that found that people with metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance) and inflammation had dramatic declines in cognitive function. (This is more serious than just forgetting your keys. It is called mild cognitive impairment, which is a prelude to dementia. Now learn the steps for reversing it.)
- Learn how to eliminate food cravings by getting your hormones in balance. (Follow these simple dietary changes to completely correct and reverse insulin resistance and the catastrophic effects it has on the brain.)
- Discover the link between thyroid disease and depression and why this special plan can heal your broken thyroid. (Over 20 percent of women and 10 percent of men have a low-functioning thyroid and only half of those are diagnosed.)
- Learn how to eliminate the symptoms of PMS (and why your fork may be enhancing your symptoms by pushing your hormones out of balance).
- Learn about 4 reversible reasons why you’re losing testosterone and what you can do about it. (And why men don’t have to take “the little blue pill” to be men again.)
Key #3: Cool Off Inflammation
Inflammation and the Effects of Autism and Alzheimer’s
If you have a sore throat, a swollen joint or a rash, you know you are inflamed. But if your brain is inflamed, you feel nothing. Nothing, that is, except depressed, unfocused or, worse, autistic or demented.
New evidence links hidden brain inflammation to almost every known “brain disease,” from depression to dementia, from autism to anxiety, from schizophrenia to sociopathic behavior.
The brain is on fire in the 21st century. If 1 in 3 Americans suffers from a mental illness, and 14 million Americans will soon have Alzheimer’s, and nearly all mood disorders and age-related brain diseases are symptoms of an inflamed or “sore” brain, then this problem touches everyone.
You might say we are all on fire.
Discover the secrets to cooling off inflammation for a healthy, happy brain:
- The surprising link between inflammation and autism. (The amazing discovery by a cutting-edge Harvard doctor, who studied autistic children’s brains on MRI scans.)
- Why exercise and fish oil can often be a more effective treatment for depression than antidepressants. (Six remarkable pieces of evidence proving that depression may be systemic inflammatory disease…and what you can do about it.)
- How to slow down if not reverse dementia and Alzheimer’s. (Attack the underlying source of the inflammation by addressing the 9 causes of inflammation.)
- Which foods you are eating that may be injuring your brain. (Certain foods you may eat daily can act to disturb normal neurotransmitter function, causing a chain reaction that overexcites, injures, inflames and ultimately kills brain cells.)
Key #4: Fix Your Digestion
A 6-Year Tantrum’s Caused by Food Allergies
Did you know that your gut has more neurotransmitters and serotonin (happy-mood chemicals) than your brain does?
New science shows the obvious connection between the gut and the brain. What happens in the gut affects the health of your brain.
Your gut is responsible for breaking down food, letting in the good stuff (such as vitamins and minerals), blocking out the bad stuff (such as toxins and bad bugs), and making good bacteria to protect you.
If your gut breaks down because of stress and poor diet, your brain won’t be happy. Breakdown anywhere in this process creates illness. Learn:
- Why your gut has more to do with your happy mood than your brain. (95 percent of your body’s serotonin, or happy-mood chemical, is produced in the gut nerve cells.)
- Why new studies show that it’s your stomach that makes you anxious and irritable. (It’s your irritable bowel that may be affecting your brain…here’s how.)
- Why bad bugs in your gut may be leading to your obsessive-compulsive disorder. (Bad bugs in the gut produce ammonia, a brain toxin that excites and damages brain cells and the mitochondria.)
- Why a little heartburn can lead to brain problems if you fall into the trap of treating it the way that 25 percent of Americans do. (Studies show that people who take long-term acid-blocking medications can become vitamin B12 deficient, which can lead to depression, anemia, fatigue, nerve damage and even dementia, especially in the elderly.)
Key #5: Enhance Detoxification
How George Reversed Dementia Because of Detoxification
Our bodies must eliminate all our metabolic wastes and all the toxins we take in from the environment and through our food, air, water and medications.
The toxic burden in the 21st century is overwhelming, and often our bodies can’t keep up. This leads to illness.
Toxic overload shuts down every biochemical process in your body and can lead to dementia, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, to name a few.
Learn the keys to eliminating harmful toxins from your system and maintaining a sharp, focused and alert brain:
- Seven enemies that impair your body’s natural ability to detoxify. (A recent study in The Lancet clearly showed how one food additive can make your children hyperactive.)
- 4 tips for reducing your exposure to mercury. (15 percent of women of childbearing age were found to have toxic levels of mercury in their blood. This simple plan can help you eliminate from your body the second most toxic metal known to man.)
- Nine ways to help reduce dementia and brain aging. (New research clearly shows that exposures to toxins put you at risk of Parkinson’s .)
- Five simple foods that can naturally replenish glutathione, the body’s master detoxifier. (In addition, 2 vitamins that help boost the production of glutathione in your body.)
Key #6: Boost Energy Metabolism
The Secret to Living to 120
Life is energy. Once no more energy is produced in your cells, you die. The process of extracting energy from the food you eat and the oxygen you breathe is the most essential procedure of life.
Keeping that metabolic engine running smoothly and protecting it from harm are essential for health.
Enough energy means a happy, healthy, focused and sharp brain. Lack of energy means slowed mental function, autism, mood disorders such as depression, and ultimately Parkinson’s and dementia.
Discover the keys to the fountain of youth. Learn…
- 5 specific supplements you can take today to boost energy and reduce oxidative stress. (Loss of function and death of mitochondria account for much of what we see in most diseases, including problems with mood, behavior, attention and memory.)
- One specific lifestyle change you can make to increase energy and reduce fatigue. (Lack of energy means slowed mental function, autism, mood disorders such as depression, and ultimately Parkinson’s and dementia.)
- Whether your mitochondria are damaged and you are losing energy, by taking a quiz. (With 3 specific action plans you can use.)
Key #7: Calm Your Mind
How Stress Makes Your Brain Hard
The overwhelming stresses of the 21st century, including social isolation, overwork and disempowerment, create enormous stresses on our nervous systems, leading to burnout and breakdown.
A stiff, rigid, “hard” personality is reflected in stiff cells, rigid plaques in the brain and a general loss of resilience. We lose the ability to renew, remember and repair.
This is not just a metaphor for what happens. Your brain literally stiffens, slows and loses function in direct relationship to the thoughts, beliefs and attitudes you have about yourself and your place in the world. How each of us responds to our life – to our perceptions – has enormous implications on how we feel, how we age and the health of our brain.
Uncover the tips for relaxing and making your brain happy and healthy:
- 3 easy-to-implement tools for reducing stress. (High levels of cortisol over the long term injure the hippocampus, leading to impaired memory, dementia and depression.)
- How to strengthen your cardiovascular system, prevent insulin resistance and balance hormones. (This simple exercise only takes minutes a day.)
- How this simple breathing exercise will help stimulate your vagus nerve, to lower inflammation and reduce depression. (This simple exercise releases acetylcholine, which reduces the production of inflammatory cytokines.)
Announcing Six Weeks to an UltraMind® :
See Changes in Days, NOT Months
Six Weeks to an UltraMind® is a 6-week, step-by-step program designed to help you fix imbalances in your body’s core underlying biology, which will then trigger your body’s own natural intelligence to heal and automatically fix your brain.
Inside this 6-week program, you’re going to find powerful tools for transforming your broken brain into an UltraMind® – one that’s calm, confident, alert and happy.
Dr. Hyman, with his unique teaching style, breaks down the complex topics into easy-to-understand bites of information by sharing relatable stories, engaging examples and memorable illustrations that will help you know exactly what to do immediately.
“I highly recommend this program to anyone …who feels like they are at the end of their rope as I was.”
What I have seen in my body and mind after 5 weeks on the program have been amazing! I highly recommend this program to anyone who feels they are living in a “brain fog”.
I am a physician practicing in a fast-paced emergency department, and I turned to this program as a last-ditch effort to heal my “broken brain”.
I excelled early in my career, but over the past 5 years have noted a decline in my mental functioning. I gradually became less motivated to do anything other than get up and go to work—just early enough to shower and change—then come back home, go to sleep, and wake up and do the same thing the next day.
I had little motivation to exercise as I had in the past (1 hour cardio daily through my 2nd year of med school) or do any other activities I once enjoyed. I noticed both short- and long-term memory problems.
I stuttered when I tried to explain results and plans of care to patients, and they looked at me like I was the one who needed to be in the hospital bed, not them! I felt stressed with every shift, could not finish my notes in a timely manner, could not organize my thoughts, and had difficulty making decisions.
At home I was chronically tired, apathetic,
bordering clinical depression
I had dry skin and chronic itchy skin after showering. I was not happy; in fact, I was miserable and felt like my life was falling apart around me. Soon after starting this plan, people around me began to notice changes in my skin.
I noticed I was no longer stressed at work, made more rapid decisions, no longer stuttered, and was able to juggle more patients at a time. I became more motivated to do things at home and outside of work, and I became a happier person overall!
I began this program with some skepticism but was soon won over. Although initially difficult to eat all organic food, cut out dairy, wheat, gluten, and sweeteners, I did find plenty of food to eat, and I even learned to enjoy foods I never liked before!
With my hectic and ever-changing schedule, I had difficulty sticking w/ the minimal daily exercise (30 minutes of walking) and relaxation exercises, but overall the plan was easy to stick to.
I plan to continue this plan indefinitely and hopefully encourage my spouse and family to adopt it as well. I highly recommend this program to anyone, but especially to those people who feel like they are at the end of their rope as I was. Give it a try and see how you feel.
You won’t regret it!
Shannon Stinson, M.D.
North Augusta, SC
In Six Weeks to an UltraMind® you’ll get access to 3 powerful components carefully designed to optimize your mind and rebalance your health at your own speed. Each component is modeled after Dr. Hyman’s specific protocol when treating his patients.
Component #1: The Six Weeks to an UltraMind® Audio Program (12 audio sessions on 7 CDs)
Listen in as Dr. Hyman puts all the scientific puzzle pieces together and explains through examples and stories, and with humor, the 7 real causes of your broken brain, how to address them and what you need to do to be free from depression, anxiety, ADHD and Alzheimer’s, as well as brain fog, mental dullness, or any other mental illness or brain disorder.
Begin your healing process by listening to this dynamic self-help audio and allow Dr. Hyman to explain in careful detail why your brain is broken and how the 7 Keys to an UltraMind® will help you live a happier and healthier life.
These 12 audio sessions on 7 CDs give you ALL the scientific information distilled into easy-to-understand principles you can use to:
- Feel more alert…
- Experience a more stable mood…
- Develop a stronger, longer-lasting memory…
- Increase your concentration…
- Feel more alive with natural energy…
- Develop sounder sleep…
- Create a sharper, faster brain…
After 20 years in medical practice, Dr. Hyman has developed a unique gift for teaching his patients how to take control of their lives by regaining their health.
You Too Will Understand How Easy It Is to
Take Charge of Your Brain Health Naturally
Audio Program Table of ContentsSession 1: The Broken-Brain Epidemic
Session 2: The Accidental Psychiatrist
Session 3: Myths of Modern Medicine
Session 4: Myths of Psychology and Neurology
Session 5: Key #1: Optimize Your Nutrition
Session 6: Key #2: Balance Your Hormones
Session 7: Key #3: Cool Off Inflammation
Session 8: Key #4: Fix Your Digestion
Session 9: Key #5: Enhance Detoxification
Session 10: Key #6: Boost Energy Metabolism
Session 11: Key #7: Calm Your Mind
Session 12: The 6-Week Basic Brain-Boosting Program Overview
“I have my husband back”
From a caregiver’s point of view. Eight years ago, at the age of 42, I met and married the love of my life. We both have felt that “we” were absolutely “meant to be together.”
Two years ago I began worrying whether or not the “moments” of forgetfulness meant the beginning of dreaded Alzheimer’s disease. I began to educate myself obsessively, and came to the conclusion that the traditional route of pharmaceutical drugs was the wrong approach to combat this beast. I would not accept that the “only” outcome was a horrible death sentence.
My beloved husband’s cognitive function took a sudden and alarming spiral downward this past fall. The formal diagnosis of “Alzheimer’s” was no less heartbreaking, but I felt lucky to have had those two years to do the precious research and reading, where I was given the extraordinary gift of awareness and respect for Functional Medicine.
Knowing instinctively that this was the only answer to the war we needed to fight – it was here that I sought help. I was made aware of Dr. Hyman by another Functional Medicine doctor a couple of years ago, and have followed his work and have read several of his books.
I was elated to find The UltaMind Solution. Having a program to follow, was the answer to a prayer…literally.
The actual “turnaround” has been so dramatic that I have been hesitant to share the results, not wanting to offer unwarranted “hope” to others, as it sounds “too good to be true”.
I do not want this to sound like “hype” – or as the “magic pill” that cured Alzheimer’s, but I do think it would be irresponsible not to share our astounding results.
The bottom line is this… five days after starting the program, my husband had gone from not being able to hold a thought, constantly misplacing any number of objects, repeating questions and thoughts, and not being able to drive (as he would get lost), to the normal functioning man I married.<
Container Count Unit